Monday, April 26, 2010

The Bystander Effect

Every morning at 7:05 my t.v. turns on automatically, I use it as a back-up alarm for my dysfunctional cell phone. Today was no exception. However, upon coming out of my sweet slumber I began to hear the words of the news reporter and was immediately struck with a broken heart, which isn't the best way to start your day.

In New York City, a woman was being mugged and a good Samaritan stepped into help, only to be stabbed while the thief ran off. Making only a few steps before collapsing to the ground, the wounded man lay on the ground for hours as more than 25 people passed him by, some even stopping to take pictures. Not one person stopped to help him or call emergency services and the man died before anyone could save him. All of this was caught on security cameras and now broadcast for the world to see.

(you can watch it here: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/36776405#36776405)

The reporters described it as the Bystander Effect, a "social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer help in an emergency situation when other people are present." To me, it was a modern day story of the parable of the Good Samaritan in the gospel of Luke:

"A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him." Luke 10:30-34

As I sat there, watching this story and recaps of other similar situations that have been caught on tape, I was overcome with sadness as the tears flowed down my face. If you know me, this isn't exactly hard to believe...I'm extremely emotional and sometimes cry during a good commercial. I couldn't help but wonder how many times we pass by people in need everyday without a second thought. I personally have never, to my knowledge, encountered this type of situation, but I have ignored the cries of the homeless and hungry more times than I can count. Are they no different than the man that has been stabbed? Jesus says in Matthew 25:37-40:

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

So often, we ask that our hearts will break for what breaks the heart of our Father, but I think we forget that He's listening to our requests and will follow through. Conviction is a hard thing to swallow, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to rest in His grace and the chance to take action, not ignoring the silent whispers of my Savior through the lips of those who need our love. Join me, will you?


No longer a bystander,

L

1 comment: