Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 2: Genesis 18-19

Sodom and Gommorah

First, a quick observation of the fact that Sarah DID laugh when she heard that she would be having a child. Good to know I would be in good company.

Back to S & G...to me, a story of God's incredible power to inflict his wrath. Fire and brimstone thrown down from his hands to destroy an entire city who was so overcome by sin. The idea seemed a little extreme and for a split second evoked an emotion that questioned this so-called "loving" God, but he saved those that were his followers (Lot and his family). Possibly a nod to the end of times portrayed in Revelations? Also made me think about how incredibly thankful I am for what happened on the cross, if it weren't for that one act, I'm fairly sure we would have seen this happen time and time again.I like that Abraham was brave enough to question God, not just once but 6 times. I don't like (nor do I understand) what compelled Lot's daughters to coerce him into conceiving with them -- I'm unsure of the relevance that has to the rest of the story, but maybe it goes into more detail in the next chapter...one can only hope for an explanation.Did I miss any important details within this story? Reading at 6am is a little difficult.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 3: Yesterday I read Genesis 20-21 and really didn't get anything from it. But today I read 22-24 part of which was the story of God asking Abraham to sacrifice his only son.

I've heard this story a thousand times and it will never cease to amaze me that Abraham never once questions God. Isaac's birth was nothing short of a miracle, a gift from God, and now he wants Abraham to kill him? If it were me, I'd have a whole lot of questions, but I guess that just goes to show the strength of Abraham's obedient faith.

It makes me wonder what our lives would look like if we each took on the call of living a life completely surrendered to God. Speaking for myself, I have cried out to God hundreds of times that I completely surrender everything to him, but apart from those mountain-top moments, my life doesn't speak to that promise. We can blame it on our culture, our generation, the fast-paced world we live in, but when it comes down to it, we always have a choice. And more often than not, we choose to live within our own comforts than to live a life of reckless abandon.

If we are honest with ourselves, there is at least one thing, but likely many more, that we have been holding onto for fear of the unknown. Unfortunately for me, I tend to hold onto to my dreams and the future that I envision for myself. Letting go of that would mean being able to see what God envisions and the possibility that it might not look the way I hoped it would. What I am quick to forget is that God is the one who is put the dreams in my head, that they may not be exact replicas when they come to fruition, but will be close to the idea that was originally planted.

God asked Abraham to give up his son, what is God asking of you? Are you willing to sacrifice that?

No comments:

Post a Comment